Sunday, May 12, 2013

Tools: washi tape, bobbin holder, templates, pincushion

Washi tape is Japanese rice paper tape. It's hopelessly addictive because of the many beautiful patterns. It can also be used just like masking tape, and it doesn't lose its glue, so I can use it in my sewing room.
Most recently I used it to hold quilting threads out of the way while machine quilting.

A piece of garden pond hose cut open makes a great holder for bobbins. I really don't like any of the holders on the market, but this one is just perfect for me. And Washi tape, of course, for the label.
 

Vellum makes a great template material. I cut a length, traced the pattern, and stitched holes into it with my sewing machine. Rubbing a little chalk into the holes transferred the pattern to the fabric.

My teacher at the Baltimore class had a little pillow that she uses as a third hand for shaping applique pieces. I was about to toss a new UFO into my UFO black hole when it occurred to me to make my own little pillow. Here's the result.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Enjoy your Baltimore applique adventure. I'm curious about the little pillow that she uses as a third hand for shaping applique pieces. How does that work?