Friday, December 31, 2010

How the GFG was finished

The previous post was more a biography of my grandmother than an exposition of my latest (and greatest ever) finished quilt, my GFG. Here are those details.

The quilting was finished by stitching in my "happy toes" pattern on the sides. The binding for the flower border was a pieced binding using scraps from the flower fabrics. The ends were finished with a knife edge binding, which was the trickiest part for me.
I debated whether I should use orange hexagons, or green ones on the back. I chose the green, because they bring a part of the front back to the reverse side. I made a few more hexagons, and simply stitched them to the front hexies after trimming back the orange and batting a little. Then I appliqued the open edges to the orange fabric. Easy peasy.
I love the knife edge binding. It feels great and special. But if I had to choose, I think the pieced binding attached to the flower border is the prettiest part of the quilt.


2 comments:

rcp said...

Congrats to you!!!!!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Thank you for your note on my blog! I am a beginner both at quilting and at blogging, so usually spend as much time wandering around all these amazing blogs as I do sewing !

This quilt is wonderful, I hope someday to be able to create such beautiful quilts. And what a wonderful story, thanks for sharing.