Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Distracted

What do you do when you’re distracted, but don’t know why?

Last week, I went to pick up a package at the Packstation. Pulled back out of the parking lot and hit a parked car. A car I KNEW was there. Here’s the result.

That’s my first accident since 1986. Sigh. On top of it all, there’s almost nothing damaged on the very old VW Golf, it’s all my bumper. Oh well, that’s how they’re designed now.

Then the very next day, I met some friends in Stuttgart. We went to my car, and in the parking garage I walked confidently to my car. Only it wasn’t there. I stood there and wondered what had happened, and my friends were getting concerned for me, when I realized I had only THOUGHT about parking there, but had taken another space. The I turned around, saw my car, and realized we had walked right by my car.

Yesterday, I woke up too early, but couldn’t sleep, so I got up. After being up for a while, I got a cup of coffee. Sitting in my easy chair, looking at my computer, holding my coffee cup, I dozed off. Yes, you guessed it – I poured coffee onto my keyboard. After disassembling it last night, it was declared a total loss, and I get to buy a new keyboard. Cheaper than a new bumper, anyway.
This morning, I walk into the office, saying “Guten Morgen” just like you’re supposed to here in Germany (at least I don’t work for one of those companies where you have to shake everyone’s hand every day). I greeted the only two people in my office, and asked one guy sitting alone, if he were the only one there so far. He replied, Yes. After a few minutes, I hear an odd tap tap tap, as if someone is using a keyboard at one of the empty desks. I got up to investigate, and I had walked right past someone who had been directly in my line of sight. He’d been there the whole time.

Whatever’s going on in my mind, it’s taking a lot of processing power. Sheesh. I hope I find out soon.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

I went to refill my coffee after reading your post and was thinking about your car mishap and another one I saw very similar...kept right on pouring and soon had coffee all over the counter. Had to laugh...still am. Our cups runneth over! It's just abundant life! Keep laughing.

Birgit-Patch said...

Karen, kann es sein, daß Du zu viele bunte Stöffchen im Kopf hast??? LOL