Saturday, September 16, 2017

Jack and his chain has me fascinated

The Jack's Chain is an interesting pattern, and challenging with its combination of triangles, hexagons and nine patches. Y seams!!!

In recent years I've vowed to prioritize and only start new projects that I absolutely cannot resist doing. The projects I lose sleep over because I'm constantly trying to figure it out.
The normal Jack's Chain is not one of those projects. Circles arranged tidily next to each other, it's a pretty pattern, but didn't cross my threshold of "must-do" patterns.

Then came Ring Cycles, a pattern by Lessa Siegele.
Her trick, which drove me to distraction, goes like this.
Jack's Chain traditional patterns generally have the blocks abutting each other, nine patch to nine patch.
Ring Cycles abuts triangles instead. Put enough of them together and you have interlocking circles. That put me over the top. I bought the pattern, the fabric, had someone laser cut the pieces for me, and I'm off. My obsession of 2017 (and probably 2018 as well).
On the left are the fabrics I've chosen, all Philip Jacobs.


No comments: