Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cutting squares

Sometimes I notice that I'm a little too emotionally attached to a piece of fabric. That's why this latest swap from the Black Forest Guild is good therapy for me.
We are creating sheets of 20 squares and swapping them. Each sheet (in my case 1/4 of an A4 piece of paper) has to contain 20 different fabrics.
My goal is to get as many sheets as possible so I can make a Triple Irish Chain quilt. Last time I calculated, I'll need about 1200 squares, so I need to make about 50 sheets.
Finally I've got my system down so I can cut lots of squares at once.
First I grab all the fabric in one of my 12 drawers, organized by color.
Then I cut 2 1/2 inch strips from each.
Next, I iron the strips, 5 strips on top of each other, with the shortest lengths on top.
From each stack of strips I use my favorite ruler to cut 10 inch lengths. I can fit 2 strip sets under my ruler.
Finally I cut, using a brand new blade, 10 squares at a time.
Makes the work much easier.


2 comments:

Birgit-Patch said...

Very well organized Karen!

Tina said...

Sounds like a sweat shop to me! But you will have lots of squares to trade.