Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Tokyo Subway design

Here's my design, as compared to Oh Fransson's full quilt. As mentioned earlier, I'm only going to make a quarter of the quilt, because that's more manageable for me. I used Excel as my grid, then filled in the color corresponding to the colors in the original quilt. I may still make some color changes, based on what is in my stash.
I chose which quarter to make (lower right quadrant) and started cutting fabric.
This picture compares my design to the quadrant of Oh Franssons! quilt that I wanted to make.

Then I started cutting fabric. I've got around half of the colored fabric cut, but none of the white. It wasn't easy to start cutting into some of my whole pieces, but I took a deep breath and cut away. I'm also not sure how much I like the ratio of patterned squares to solid squares, so I might use more solid. We'll see.
At first I was cutting the exact number of squares, but now I'm just cutting a 2 1/2 inch strip and making squares out of all of it. The rest will go into my Bonnie Hunter Scrappy Irish Chain project.

No comments: